Tuesday, March 22, 2016

Hasta Luego


I am writing this post from a small house in Panama City and today is my last day in the country.  Let me remind you that my Close of Service date was for April 29th.
Today is March 22nd and I left my community of La Mina on March 8th.  

The followers of my blog know that I had a security incident back in September. Peace Corps and I filed several restraining orders through local and provincial authorities.
Unfortunately, the incident became more complicated and on March 2nd I was asked to attend a mandatory meeting in Panama City with the Peace Corps security department and the country director.

Due to recent events, they explained to me that the recent security plan needed to be updated (it has been 6 months) but since I had such little time left and for the sake of my safety and security, I was asked that I do an Early Close of Service. I would not be penalized for an Early COS and would receive all of the benefits of a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer. But I would be leaving my community March 8th.  I had 5 days to tell my community, pack my things and leave.

I would not have the awesome despedida (good bye party) that I had been dreaming about for a year. Several mini-projects would not be finished. I would not have the “last times” of doing this or doing that that I had planned with several community members. I would not see the kids in the school plant in the garden.

The next 4 days were some of the most stressful days I have ever had in my life. But the day before I left, several members of the community pulled together and made a goodbye ceremony. It was not the grand extravaganza that I dreamed of. There were no drums or music and I did not wear a traditional pollera. But there was my favorite traditional food and lots of love. People shared their experiences: from work to community events to even having coffee at their house. I tried everything I could to hold the tears back (crying in Panamanian culture is a no-no) as people expressed their love and gratitude for me as a volunteer and as a person. I realized that I did not need all the fancy party things that I had dreamed of, because I received expressions of love, friendship and gratitude.
Final Community Meeting

Lined up at the Despedidia


I spent the next week in the office doing the COS process (medical appointments, dental, administrative paperwork blah blah). From there I asked PC to postpone my flight because I needed time to finish the paperwork to bring Oreo home with me. Meanwhile, I thankfully know a family in the city who was willing to take me in for the week and were just wonderful- fed me, washed my clothes, and showed me some areas of the city I had never been too.

As I look back on these past crazy two years, I don’t ask myself if it was worth it. My motive for why I applied for Peace Corps and why I was able to finish my service are worlds apart. I tell myself that I am a stronger and changed person. Living and coexisting with people who are completely different has made me reflect on world problems such as poverty and governmental corruptness, but I have also changed my values on family and my own culture. I have planted seeds in individuals that I will never see grow. That is what Peace Corps is about and that is why I did it.
 
The Gong Ringing- I am officially a Returned Peace Corps Volunteer!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment